Laser Therapy Can Be Your Answer to Faster Heel Pain Relief
Heel pain is a very common condition, and is frequently a stubborn one to get rid of as well. Fortunately, we provide a wide range of treatments to address all the various ways that heel pain can develop.
Multiwave Locked System (MLS) laser therapy can be a very effective part of many heel pain treatment plans. It can not only provide a shorter recovery period for many injuries but can also help restart the healing process for chronic cases of heel pain as well.
But how can lasers of all things offer such stellar results? It’s a lot more natural than you might expect!
How Does Laser Therapy Treat Pain?
MLS laser therapy is a form of regenerative medicine. That means it stimulates and aids the body’s natural healing processes without needing to introduce drugs or other unnatural elements into the system.
What gets introduced by laser therapy is light energy. In the case of MLS laser, two different but specific wavelengths of light are used simultaneously (that’s the “Multiwave” part of the name). This is not like a light shining on the skin but organized light waves that penetrate the tissues.
When the laser is applied to an area, it can stimulate several positive responses in the body:
- Increased cellular activity. In other words, cells start doing their jobs faster. That includes growth and repair.
- Increased blood flow. When cells work harder, they need more supplies to do so. These come through the bloodstream. The body accounts for this by increasing circulation to a location in need. In some cases, new capillaries are even formed to provide a more direct and efficient delivery of materials.
- Decreased swelling. The blood carries more to the area, and it can also carry out more excess fluid.
- Decreased pain. The transmission of pain signals by local nerves can become partially blocked as part of the body’s natural response. And in conditions where the nerve damage is causing pain, better comfort can be restored as nerve function is repaired.
So, just to review things in a nutshell: MLS laser therapy can naturally help relieve pain and accelerate the body’s own healing process. That’s why we’re proud to provide this option to our patients!
What Heel Pain Conditions Can Laser Therapy Treat?
MLS laser therapy is particularly effective in treating soft tissue injuries. This includes damage to muscles, tendons, ligaments, and other connective tissues.
Most of the causes of heel pain have a basis in soft tissue injury, so laser therapy may be an effective recommendation for many of them. A few common examples include:
- Plantar Fasciitis is a very common condition in which aggravation and small tears develop in the thick band of tissue running along the underside of the foot. A frequent cause of heel pain when getting out of bed in the morning.
- Achilles Tendonitis is inflammation of the Achilles tendon that often causes pain in the back of the heel or just above it.
- Heel Bursitis is inflammation of the fluid-filled sac (bursa) located between the heel bone and Achilles tendon.
As previously mentioned, nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy) can sometimes be a cause of pain within or around the heel as well. MLS laser therapy can help relieve nerve pain and, in some cases, restore better nerve function.
A source of heel pain does not necessarily have to be recent to benefit from laser therapy. Where it can accelerate ongoing healing, it also has the potential to “restart” healing that has often lapsed and resulted in chronic pain.
With all this in mind, it is important to note that laser therapy is not recommended for every case that fits any of the above criteria. Other, more conservative forms of treatment may be preferable based on each specific condition and the patient’s needs surrounding them. We might recommend stretching regimens, changes in footwear and lifestyle, or custom orthotics, for example – but it is also possible that laser therapy may be recommended in addition to other methods.
What to Expect from MLS Laser Treatment Sessions for Heel Pain
MLS laser therapy is typically not a “one and done” form of treatment. It often requires a series of sessions for the best results. These sessions may be scheduled over weeks or months, depending on the condition being treated and the progress of results.
Each laser therapy session lasts about 10-20 minutes. You will not need to prepare in any way beforehand, nor require any aftercare following. You can continue with your day completely as normal.
During each session, we will apply the laser energy to the area or areas in need. You should not expect any pain from this – the MLS lasers do not provide heat, burn or damage tissue. Many patients report nothing more than a slight warming sensation. If you do happen to feel any discomfort for any reason, though, please tell us right away. We always want to ensure your greatest comfort.
While multiple sessions are usually required for best results, many patients will start feeling noticeable improvements after the first or second session. These positive results tend to stack and increase as more sessions are completed, and we will monitor your progress throughout treatment to make any adjustments as necessary.
Get Heel Pain Treatment that Works
Whether MLS laser therapy is recommended for your heel pain treatment or another route is pursued, the key is to identify and address the causes of your heel pain in the most effective ways. If you don’t take that first step to seek help, that stubborn heel pain will most likely not go away on its own. It can even become worse over time.
We have found heel pain solutions for multitudes of patients, and we are more than happy to help you as well. Schedule an appointment by calling our Enid office at 580 237-3338, or by filling out our online contact form.
524 North Van Buren Street
Enid, OK 73703
Saturday – Sunday: Closed